The Wild Card
14 Herbert Street, Avondale Heights
3 - Bedroom
1 - Bathroom
2 - Car space
$500,000 - $550,000 (Price guide)
Auction: September 17, 2016
Our Target Purchase Price
This property is going to auction so there are many influencing factors outside of our hands. This is the price that we believe is the true value based on our market analisys.
Estimated Rental Return
Gross Rental Yield (target price)
Water - $200 / qtr (approx.)
Council - $300 /qtr (approx.)
Investment Cash Flow (per month)
Your rent received = $1,820
Your mortgage = $2,370*
Your outgoings = $166 (approx.)
BALANCE = -$716/month
*Based on your CBA pre-approval dated 9th of June
General Residential Zone (RZ1)
This means: Maximum height restrictions that allow a maximum of 3 storey's - upto 9m heigh.
• $25,500 (ballpark)
Spray paint bricks exteranl = $2.5k
Window furnishing throughout - $5k
Paint internal - $4k
Kitchen (new benchtop, cupboards, handles, tapware) = $3k
Lighting = $500
Bathroom resurfacing = $1,500
Trades (allowance) = $4k
Misc. (allowance) = $5k
Professional: Approx. $1,750
Stamp Duty: $32,057 (based on target price).
Milk Chocolate Fee's
• 0.9% on final sale price + gst ($5,310 + gst based on target price).
Purchase Price = $590,000
Renovation = $25,500
Settlement Misc. Estimate = $1,500
Stamp Duty = $32,057
Professional Fee's = $1,750
Milk Chocolate (MC) = $5,310
MC Project Management = $2,550
MC Incidentals = $2,200
Building & Pest - Approx. $450 (one off)
Full landlord insurance inc. damage, loss of rent, theft, legal and contents
- Approx. $300 p.a
Tax depreciation report -
Approx. $400 (one off)
Contract of Sale
The Avondale Heights Community Precinct Vision and Master Plan provides a long-term guide for the future use of the parcel of land at the corner of Military Road and Clarendon Street.
It aims to transform the land around Avondale Heights Library and Learning Centre and gymnasium into a wider Avondale Heights Community Precinct.
In addition to the existing library and learning centre, the final proposed uses for the site are:
An early years centre providing best practice early years infrastructure and services; with two preschool rooms and two maternal and child health consulting suites.
A multi-purpose community facility expanding on the existing gymnasium and providing space for a range of local education and training, recreation, leisure, social and cultural activities.
A piazza functioning as a neighbourhood park for play and recreation as well as a wider civic gathering space and community hub.
An outdoor youth space providing outdoor recreational opportunities for young people of all ages and abilities.
A cafe/kiosk to support both the existing and proposed uses at the site and foster informal community gatherings and the precinct as a meeting place.
Parking and traffic management infrastructure will provide new traffic, transport and parking measures for the precinct.
The development of the precinct is a long-term project that will take place over a number of stages, subject to funding.
About the property
This property offers significant room for growth - hence why we have put this in the mix for your consideration. Sitting on 321sqm of land, it boasts 3 bedrooms, 1 bath and 2 car spaces. Character filled house with beautiful ornate features and room to grow. Sitting on the corner block, it showcases great value for money. Just 600m walk to the Maribyrnog River and parks, it offers a great alternative to inner city living. We do believe that there is some work required to this property, however, coming in at the lighter end of your budget, it is food for thought.
Agent Advertising Details:
• Boasting a corner aspect, with buses to Highpoint and Milleara Shopping Centre passing the door
• A leisurely stroll finds Military Road shops, cafes and Avondale Primary, while peaceful Maribyrnong River trails and parklands are nearby
• Enjoying a picturesque garden, the well-maintained home features an entry hall, spacious lounge, dining area, rear courtyard/alfresco and a kitchen displaying modern stainless steel cooking appliances, generous counters and a large pantry
• Comfortable accommodation is provided by three bedrooms, two offering built-in robes, enhanced by a pristine bathroom, modern floorboards, storage and tandem carport with automated access
• Ducted heating and refrigerated cooling ensuring all-year-round comfort
Your Brief Specifics
• 1.5km from the train station - The closest train station is 6.4km. However, the 406 bus stop is on Herbert St. This goes direct to Footscray Train Station, from there you catch the train into the CBD. This is approx. a 40 minute trip door to door. Alternatively it's a 25 minute drive into the CBD.
• Land size 400sqm block / 120sqm house - The block size is 321sqm and the living space is approx. 122sqm (inc. the alfresco dining area and excl. the carport).
• 10% capital growth / 5% rental yield - We note that the last three years Avondale Heights has recorded 14.92% capital growth (average 4.97% per year). Positively thou, the last 12 months has seen 15.20% growth for houses. The current house rental yield is 2.9%. There is no way to guarantee that the property you buy will increase in value, but in order to increase your chances, we have carried out detailed research on the property and Avondale Heights in general. We estimate that the rental yield will be below your ideal 5%. Overall Melbourne yields are low in comparison to other markets. We believe as demand catches up with supply in Melbourne (following suit in Sydney), that demand for housing will grow and rental yields will increase. We believe after some minor renovations this property will present as an attractive rental, appealing to quality tenants and higher rental returns.
We understand that this might not fit your brief exactly, however, we feel it's worth presenting as food for thought. We believe it would require superficial cosmetic upgrades before it could be leased out. If you wanted to explore this further, we would be able to prepare a cost estimate on the work required after the inspection. From here you will be able to get an understanding of the cost of renovations, time to complete the work and rental appraisal.
If you were interested, we would recommend placing an offer prior to auction and negotiating a longer settlement to allow early access to the property for site measures etc. before taking ownership. We of course, could manage this process.
We have provided a renovation breakdown for you and updated the total outlay costs based on this for your reference. We'd estimate the new value of the property after these renovations would be between $660,000 - $700,000.
Suburb specific data
RP Data Report
Related News Articles
Comparable Sold Properties
Comparable Properties for Rent
What is Social Media Saying?
* Milk Chocolate price data used on this website is sourced and relies upon information supplied by a number of external sources (including governmental authorities). This data is supplied on the basis that while Milk Chocolate believes all the information provided will be correct at the time of writing, it does not warrant its accuracy or completeness and to the full extent allowed by law excludes liability in contract, tort or otherwise, for any loss or damage sustained by you, or by any other person or body corporate arising from or in connection with the supply or use of the whole or any part of the information on this website through any cause whatsoever and limits any liability it may have to the amount paid to the external sources for the supply of such information.